Dr. P.W.A. (Peter) Scholten
Since 2011 Associate Professor Public Policy & Politics, School of Social Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam. Coordinator of the research cluster ‘Governance of Migration and Integration.’
Since 2016 Scientific research fellow of the Dutch Scientific Council for Government Policy, working on project 'Migration-related diversity'
2009 – 2011 Assistant Professor Public Policy & Politics, School of Social Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
2007 – 2009 Assistant Professor Sociology of Governance, School of Management and Governance, University of Twente.
2003 – 2007 PhD Student, Department of Sociology, School of Public Policy and Public Administration, University of Twente.
1998 – 2003 Bachelor Public Administration and Public Policy, master in European Public Policy (with honours); University of Twente
Institutional Roles and Memberships
- Director of IMISCOE, network of excellence in the field of International Migration, Integration and Social Cohesion (35 institutes, over 500 researchers: see www.imiscoe.org).
- Associate Researcher of COMPAS (Centre on Migration, Policy and Society), Oxford University.
- Editor-in-chief of the journal Comparative Migration Studies (www.comparativemigrationstudies.com)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis.
- Coordinator of the Erasmus University Research cluster on the Governance of Migration and Integration (see link).
- Member of Young Erasmus, network of young and mid-carreer scholars of Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Coordinator of the IMISCOE research clusters ‘Research-policy dialogues on migration and integration in Europe’ and ‘ The Multi-Level Governance of Migration’ (with Ricard Zapata-Barrero and Tiziana Caponio).
- Fellow of the Montesquieu Institute.
- Senior-member of Netherlands Institute of Government.
- Member of Institute for Governance Studies
- Member of Immigration Research Group, Council for European Studies (Columbia University)
- Member of the board of the Dutch Center on the History of Migrants (2012-2013).
- Editor of Perspectives on Europe, journal of the Council for European Studies (2012-2013).
- Journal manager of ‘Migrantenstudies: Tijdschrift voor Migratie en Etnische Studies’ (2010-2012, www.migrantenstudies.nl)
Research projects (>€5.000)
Since 2016 Refugee integration in Europe (Main applicant and overall coordinator, funded by the Department of Social Affairs, €50.000)
Since 2015 Framing and Immigration Policy (main applicant and overall coordinator, funded by Scientific Documentation and Research Center of the Department of Security and Justice, €51.000).
Since 2013 UPSTREAM: Developing Effective Strategies for the Mainstreaming of Integration Governance (main applicant and overall project coordinator, funded by European Integration Fund, €835.000).
Since 2013 IMAGINATION: Urban Implications and Governance of CEE Migration (main applicant together with Godfried Engbersen and overall project coordinator, funded by NWO / JPI Urban Europe €1.141.000)
Since 2012 Journal of Comparative Migration Studies (main applicant, founding editor, subsidy of Dutch science foundation of €45.000)
Since 2011 Beyond National Models of Integration? Agenda Dynamics and the Multi-Level Governance of Immigrant Integration (VENI grant, Dutch Science Foundation, €250.000).
Since 2011 UniteEurope: ICT tools and the e-governance of immigrant integration (FP7 project, Dutch case, EUR budget €407.000).
Since 2011 DIAMINT: Science-society dialogues on migration and integration in Europe (main applicant and overall project coordinator, funded by Volkswagenstiftung, €356.691)
Since 2010 Research-policy dialogues on migration and integration in Europe (IMISCOE research cluster, Standing Committee since 2014)
2012-2013 IMPACIM: Impact of Admission Criteria on the Integration of Migrant. (Coordinator of Dutch case, overall coordination COMPAS Oxford, funded by EIF, EUR budget €125.000)
2011-2013 AMICALL: Attitudes to Migrants, Communication and Local Leadership (coordinator of Dutch case, funded by EIF, EUR budget €85.251)
2010-2012 The Local Politics of Attention (grant by Dutch Science Foundation NWO €12.500)
2009-2011 PROSINT: Promoting sustainable policies for integration of Third Country Nationals (coordinator of Dutch case study, funded by EIF)
2010 Politics of Migration and Integration in Europe (study for the Council of Social Development).
Prizes, grants and awards
- VENI grant from Dutch Science Foundation, for research on ‘Agenda dynamics and the multi-level governance of migrant integration’ (2011), NWO.
- Talent grant of the Department of Social Sciences (2011), Erasmus University Rotterdam (€20.000).
- Nomination for Best Paper of the Year Award (2010), Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis.
- Nomination for Van Poelje Award for best PhD thesis in the field of public administration and public policy.